Protecting private patient information is essential in the healthcare industry. In recent years, with wireless technologies and the Internet-of-Things growing in the healthcare industry, there is even more concern over how secure patient data is and an increase in potential data breaches. Even with the recent technological advances, there are specific things you can do to help ensure patient data is kept secure and private, as follows:
- Conduct a risk assessment of connected systems. Regular audits should be performed to identify potential security risks.
- Utilize remote desktop services for high security risk systems. Moving high risk systems offsite to secure remote servers increases security.
- Establish policies and positions to monitor systems for breaches. Hire employees and establish policies to police and monitor for potential security breaches.
- Incorporate methods to reduce potential security and data risks. Establish procedures to reduce the likelihood of data breaches, such as two-factor authentication, encrypted wireless networks, and so on.
- Educate employees and patients. Educate your employees on the proper ways to keep patient data secure, as well as educate patients on how to enable security and privacy settings on their devices and online healthcare accounts.
Protecting patient data and privacy is not a one-and-done task. As technology continues to change, and new systems and software become available to the healthcare industry, risk assessments must be performed on an ongoing basis.
For more information about conducting a risk assessment audit, desktop virtualization solutions, and network performance monitoring, please feel free to contact CyberlinkASP today by phoning 972-262-5200 to speak to a representative today.