15 Jul The Future of Microsoft Dynamics GP for Your Business
Microsoft Dynamics GP Roadmap Update: Dynamics GP isn’t going anywhere for at least 7 years. In this post we will break down the support lifecycle for Dynamics GP and help understand why you should keep using GP, who should keep using GP and how to bring your current system up to date.
Long story short—you’ve been using Microsoft Dynamics GP and you aren’t ready to switch. So what does the future of Dynamics GP look like? According to a 2021 Microsoft Dynamics GP product roadmap released by Microsoft on July 8, the GP lifecycle extends beyond 2028. Here’s what you need to know…
Is Microsoft Dynamics GP Being Discontinued?
No. GP is sticking around for a while. As you can see from the Dynamics GP product roadmap release by Microsoft, users can expect support for the product well into the future.
What is Microsoft Dynamics GP Modern Lifecycle?
In October of 2019, Microsoft switched GP to its Modern Lifecycle Policy. The Dynamics GP modern lifecycle policy means continuous support for GP users including fixes, features updates and tax updates. Updates are issued three times a year and users need only take one update per year to stay current. The continuous modern lifecycle essentially eliminates the version year from the product, as opposed to the fixed lifecycle model of previous versions. Under the fixed lifecycle of previous versions, product support has a shelf life.
If you are on a previous version, this table shows when support will end for your version.
GP 2013 & GP 2013 R2
Ended April 4, 2018
Ends April 11, 2023
GP 2015 & GP 2015 R2
Ended April 14, 2020
Ends April 8, 2025
GP 2016 & GP 2016 R2
Ended July 13, 2021
Ends July 14, 2026
GP 2018 & GP 2018 R2
Ends January 10, 2023
Ends January 11, 2028
How to Get Updated
If you are on one of the versions above and you don’t want to wait until support ends to bring your system up to date, you can go to the Microsoft Dynamics GP product download site.
However, this is a complex process–we can help. CyberlinkASP can help you move your current Dynamics GP system to a hosted cloud environment and install updates in the process to bring your GP solution into the future. If you have a Dynamics GP VAR partner we can work with them to ensure your system gets updated with your customizations and configurations.
Installing updates or fixes for Dynamics GP 2018 will bring you up to the GP 18.2 version which activates the Modern Lifecycle Policy.
Related Reading: Cloud Migration Strategy for a Seamless Transition
Should I keep Using Microsoft Dynamics GP?
Microsoft released Dynamics 365 Business Central a couple of years ago and since then, the Dynamics GP community has been wondering about the future of their solution. Dynamics 365 is the all-cloud version of Microsoft’s enterprise resource planning solution for mid-market companies. While Microsoft is all-in on cloud, the future of Dynamics GP remains bright. As you can see above under the Modern Lifecycle, support for GP, including updates and fixes, will continue with three updates per year for many years.
“…the future of Dynamics GP remains bright”
This is good news for GP users and resellers as there are a lot of good reasons to keep using GP.
Why Keep Using GP?
- New software implementations are costly and strenuous for businesses, especially major accounting software.
- Adoption of new solutions is slow and training is costly. Considering the strain already on most SMBs due to COVID-19, now might not be the best time to switch to brand-new mission critical solutions.
- Many of your key integrations and customizations aren’t available for Business Central so you may be losing functionality or having to research and choose new add-on software like Time and Expense, Tax Automation and eCommerce solutions.
- As Microsoft continues to invest in its migration tools, the transition will likely become smoother years down the road. And your needs might change between now and then.
- Dynamics GP remains one of the most scalable and effective accounting solutions for growing businesses. Few solutions in its class can offer the same level of functionality, insights, reliability and audit-readiness.
Who Should Keep Using GP?
- Businesses who plan to sell in the next few years. As you plan the sale of your business, you will need to get your reporting and accounting practices in order. You want to focus on getting ready to sell for the highest price possible. You don’t want to focus on making any drastic changes to your accounting management if you don’t have to. And your potential buyer will likely work to transition your data into whatever their systems are anyway.
- Businesses with heavy regulatory requirements. If you are in a highly regulated industry or you are a publicly traded company, you likely need more control over governance, risk management and compliance than a cloud-native solution can provide.
- Businesses who plan to go public soon. No need for added strain during an already stressful time, and GP is better equipped to help you get your GRC practices ready for when you hit the public market.
- Businesses with deep customization and a lot of complex integrations. As we said above. You probably won’t be able to keep these if you migrate to a new cloud solution.
- Businesses who recently paid for upgrades, maintenance or new user licenses. This can all be costly and you don’t want to have to eat that cost in order to transition to the cloud.
How To Stay On GP And Go Cloud
So, you’ve been using GP successfully and for any of the reasons above, you want to keep using it. You can still go cloud with little strain to the businesses by working with a managed cloud hosting provider. The right private hosting provider can help you move to the cloud and keep your current Microsoft Dynamics GP system. Learn more about Managed Hosting Providers and How they Work.
Why go cloud through a private hosting provider:
- Updates and maintenance managed for you
- Keep your custom configurations
- Keep your current integrations
- Get updates and patches (No Lapsed Maintenance Fees)
- Get services and architecture tailored to your needs
- Maintain control to meet your GRC requirements
- Improve security
“it might be a better choice to invest in modernizing your current system by going cloud through a managed hosting provider”
Rather than investing your IT budget into a new accounting software implementation, it might be a better choice to invest in modernizing your current system by going cloud through a managed hosting provider. The future of Dynamics GP is solid. The software isn’t going anywhere and you can bring your current Dynamics GP into the future by going cloud with hosted Dynamics GP.
Ready to learn more about cloud for Dynamics GP? Check out CyberlinkASP’s Pricing!